-
January 26th, 2003, 10:43 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I saw this one on eBay, may be it is something like what you want ? .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23785
-
January 26th, 2003, 04:14 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Many of us are familiar with the old tube 1567 and later solid state 1592 mixers; I think that they are both 5x1 (or 6x1) format. Can anyone give me any information on similar stereo mixers (4x2, 5x2, 6x2, etc.)?
I can't believe that Altec didn't make some stereo mixer back in the "green" equipment era, but I've just never come across one.
I'm getting involved in location recording directly to 2 track. When I only use a stereo pair of mics, everything is fine, I go straight from the mic preamps to the recorder inputs. But as soon as I add a third or fourth mic, I need a mixer; and I want something rack mount so that it travels easily. A 40 year old Altec stereo rack mount mixer might need some work to meet modern noise / performance standards, but their gear is usually built with plenty of room for simple mods, like upgrading components or removing needless stuff. I just don't know of any models that I should be looking for. Suggestions?
thanks.
steve
[email protected]
-
January 26th, 2003, 07:12 PM
#3
HB Forum Owner
I am not sure which mixers that Altec made during the "Golden Years" that had stereo outputs, but here are some that MAY -
1. Seems like the 250 series did. These were broadcast consoles, and they were first built with tubes, then, as I recall, they changed to solid state, calling them the 250T series. I seem to remember a stereo tube version, though....
2. I also remember the 9200 series mixers - there were probably assignable outputs for this one that could be used for stereo. All solid state, though.
3. I KNOW that 9300 ACD Mixing Console had assignable outputs and WAS used as a recording studio mixer - OUTSTANDING! Tantalum capacitors, the BEST audio controls EVER made! They sounded GLORIOUS!
There may be more, but I can't think of them - I remember guys using two 1567A's in tandem and feeding stereo reel-to-reel recorders: BOY! Did THAT sound great!
Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage
-
January 27th, 2003, 04:15 AM
#4
Inactive Member
I saw this one on eBay, may be it is something like what you want ? .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23785
*****************************************
thanks, but that looks like a 4x1 (mono) mixer. I'm looking for a mixer with stereo outputs (4x2).
steve
-
January 29th, 2003, 04:12 AM
#5
Inactive Member
The 250 SU wasn't designed for stereo, rather dual (audition and program) channel mono. But a lot of folks used it in that capacity, albeit a little cumbersome with the left on one knob, eTc. A good line stage is just that, so use it!
I use the 1592's in my roadshow system, and have always been pleased with both their longevity and sonics. They, like any good mixer, uphold the GIGO principle, and will let you know in a hurry if there is caca afoot.
The only stereo one I ever saw was a 1592 that had been converted to stereo with dual pots and meters, with a remote chassis for the other channel electronics.
If only the matching power amps of the series sounded as good....
DG
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks